Friday, June 3, 2011

The haunted dollhouse, revisited | Good Mom / Bad Mom | a Chron.com blog

Good Mom / Bad Mom

Little angels and devils with Jenny Lawson and Mindy Sterba

| Main |

The haunted dollhouse, revisited

By Jenny (blogggess & mom of a 6 year old)

If you’re a long-time reader then you know that over the last 10 years I’ve been building a miniature homage to all my favorite horror and fantasy stories. It’s in the form of a dollhouse that I built myself and is filled with hundreds and hundreds of pieces that I’ve bought or made, and one of my favorite things to do is to have people come over and see how many allusions they could recognize. (32 is the current standing record.) A few years ago I had to put away the dollhouse and pack all of the furniture up in boxes because between Hailey’s curious hands and the cat’s insatiable urge to pull down all the bats from the attic it just wasn’t safe for anyone. So it’s stood, empty and abandoned, for years. Until this morning, that is, when I got my Mother’s Day gifts of:

1) an impromptu harmonica wake-up call at 6am.

2) a handmade card with a kissing robot on it.

3) a plexiglass display case made just for my dollhouse.

Best Mother’s Day ever.

PS. Hailey and I have spent all morning going through the boxes of tiny crucifixes and vampire hunting kits and poisoned apples and mischievous brownies and Egyptian mummies I’m not even remotely close to being finished because every time I pull out a piece I have to explain why Death wears a tophat, or how phoenix tears can save you from death. It’s a long (and absolutely wonderful) process. I’ll have pictures of the insides in a few weeks.  But until then?

Click to embiggen.

Happy Mother’s Day, y’all.

  • 8 Responses to The haunted dollhouse, revisited

    1. That’s awesome. I’d love to see that doll house. Bet I could beat 32 allusions. LOL

    2. Eva says:

      That is way cool! You’ll have to take some close-up shots and share all the little nooks and crannies. What is a cranny anyway? A transvestite cranberry? This are the things I wish I knew.

      Happy Mother’s Day! Hailey is a super lucky girl. :)

    3. Eva says:

      Well duh. I should have clicked the link. Pictures! I’m not a smart man, Jenny!

    4. Jacksons Girl says:

      It fits the empty Christmas tree Space!!! Hazaa! Cant wait to see the inside pictures!!!

    5. Mindy says:

      It’s the perfect replacement for the missing walk-in living room freezer and Christmas tree!

    6. Sandra says:

      Wonderful! Yay!

    7. Mary says:

      I’ve seen your dollhouse and it should be in a museum…so being in a plexiglass case is perfect. Happy Mother’s Day my friend.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment