Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ellie Fellers | Western Maine Art Group

Town: New Gloucester

Genre: Fiber Arts

Artwork: Fine Quilting

Artist Biography:

I have lived in Maine for more than 45 years, mostly in New Gloucester.

After a long career as a physical therapist and journalist, a diagnosis of breast cancer in 1999 led me to discover quilt making during my recovery when I felt lost and couldn’t find my way. I have knit all my life and have created quilts during the past eight years. In addition, I am a professional photographer and journalist freelancing for the Lewiston Sun Journal covering New Gloucester.

The world of color surrounding me inspires all my activities daily. I consider the quilts to be beloved objects that can help heal the soul and provide purpose to life.

Early on I made quilts as gifts to all my family members, children, grand-children, aunts, sisters and best friends during this journey of discovery. And, I have made comfort quilts for friends who are struggling and facing difficulties.

I find that the fabric and thread I weave makes a spiritual connection to a life force today and hopefully for many years to come. I have amassed enormous amounts of fabric. And, I’m now prepared to meet the wider demand for my work.

I am especially enthralled with ethnic fabrics, and the distinct designs and fabric form through batik making.

I have embellished authentic African pictorial batik panels into a series of hangings using African fabrics. And, I enjoy the artistry and fabric from Asia.

Last summer the Western Maine Art Group in Norway accepted one of my quilts to display in a juried show at the Lajos Matolcsy Arts Center. Later, I exhibited seven quilts in a fiber show there. Fiddlehead Center for the Arts is currently exhibiting several of my quilts. I hung quilts from December through early February in the Vestry of the First Congregational Church of New Gloucester.

And in March, my work will be exhibited at the Operations Center for the Norway Savings Bank in Norway, Maine. I am a member of the Pine Tree Quilt Guild, and currently study with Suzanne Biddle of Auburn, Maine.

Please feel free to contact me (efeller1@maine.rr.com) for additional information about my collections.

P.O. Box 107, New Gloucester, ME 04260

1-207-926-4776

Edit

No comments:

Post a Comment