Thursday, June 7, 2012

Gail Rein | Western Maine Art Group

Gail Rein

For complete information and gallery, please visit Gail Rein

Artist Biography:

I’ve always loved to draw and paint. And I’ve always loved horses. So its no surprise I started out drawing and painting horses, and ended up having horses and drawing and painting. Its been a doorway to a wonderful life. I majored in art at Emmanuel College in Boston, during which time I spent many many hours at the wonderful Boston Museum of Art, a short walk from school. I was, and still am, enthralled by the incredible work of what we call the old masters. The year following graduation I visited the European museums, followed by graduate work at the Museum School in Boston. What I found enthralling about seeing in real life the works of art that I had studied in art appreciation classes, was that when I was actually standing in front of one of these famous pieces, I could feel what I call a life energy. Its as if the painting had breath. Because of this, I was motivated to try to capture the inner life or essence of my subject, and convey this through detailed realism.

My art, like my life, has been through many twists and turns. After having been away from art for sometime, I find myself back with a greater energy and enthusiasm. I am now drawn to a more “painterly” form of expression and am allowing myself the luxury of exploration. I wish to pay more attention to my own particular way of seeing. I am having fun, and this is the criteria for my new art.
Maybe you would like “the facts”. Here they are. My first competitive exhibition was at Boston City Hall, at which I won first prize, resulting in my work being published in Yankee Magazine. I have been represented by Portraits Inc. in NY and by Portraits North in Boston. My work hangs in the Circuit Court building across from the White House, in colleges and universities, and most importantly, in the homes of friends.

Edit

No comments:

Post a Comment